Sometimes we feel a little toxic. Maybe we drank too much, overindulged on vacation, or did something that left us feeling gross. Luckily for us, we can bounce back pretty quickly if we know what kinds of food to reach for.
These eight foods are very effective at flushing toxins out of the body, so give them a try next time you're feeling like your body could use a little detoxing. And make the effort to eat them regularly to keep your body in tip top shape!
- Lemons. Lemons help nourish the liver, the body's hardest working detoxifying organ. They also provide a nice dose of vitamin C that supports your immune system.
- Garlic. The sulfur compounds found in garlic are super nourishing for the liver. Garlic is also a potent antimicrobial that helps keep your digestive system balanced.
- Parsley. Parsley is a natural diuretic, meaning that it helps your body get rid of unnecessary water. This makes it great for reducing bloating.
- Cilantro. Cilantro chelates heavy metals, meaning that it can pull highly toxic heavy metals out of the body.
- Beets. Beets are excellent for cleansing the liver and keeping it healthy so that it can effectively filter toxins out of your body.
- Ginger. In addition to being anti-inflammatory, ginger helps keep your lymphatic system clean.
- Kombucha. The enzymes and probiotics in kombucha help support the liver and the digestive system. Kombucha also happens to be very refreshing and energizing, making it a great addition to days when you could use a boost of nutrients and energy.
- Water. This list obviously wouldn't be complete without water. Drinking a lot of water is one of the most effective ways to flush things out of your system. Make sure you are always well hydrated!
Now I'd love to hear from you. Do you have a go-to food for when you know you've overindulged? Let me know in the comments!
Photo Credit: FreeImages.com/Tracy Olson