The pizzas we make with this crust are among our absolute favorite things to eat. We decided to come up with our own super healthy pizza crust after trying many unimpressive gluten-free versions. While a little labor intensive (insofar as you have to roll the dough out), I promise it's worth it to be able to enjoy pizza that is actually good for you. As an added bonus, the very high fiber and protein content in this one turns this into an extremely filling meal that will keep you satisfied for hours and hours.
We also often make healthy flat bread with this (just roll it thinner), which we then top with various tasty things for a great breakfast, snack, or salad accompaniment.
The Greatest Pizza Crust Ever
Makes 2 crusts
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 1/2 cups quinoa flakes
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup flax meal
2 tbsp flax seeds
2 tbsp chia seeds
3 tbsp psyllium husk powder
3/4 tsp sea or Himalayan salt
1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 3/4 cups water
1. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the slivered almonds, quinoa flakes, sunflower seeds, flax meal, flax seeds, chia seeds, psyllium husk powder, and salt.
2. In a separate small bowl, mix together the maple syrup/honey, melted coconut oil, and water.
3. Pour the liquid into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix. It will seem wet at first but within one minute will firm up significantly as the water is absorbed.
4. Line 2 large baking trays with parchment paper.
5. Split the dough in half and put one half on each tray.
6. Use a rolling pin or a wine bottle to roll the dough out. This is easiest if you take another piece of parchment paper to put on top of the dough so that the rolling pin/bottle does not stick.
7. Roll out to your desired shape and let the dough sit for about 20 minutes
8. Preheat the oven to 375F (190C) and when ready, put the crusts in and bake for 25 minutes.
9. Take the crusts out, flip them over, and top with whatever sauce and toppings you are using.
10. Increase the oven temperature to 400F (205C) and bake for 15 more minutes.
11. Enjoy your healthy, delicious, filling pizza!
I'd love to hear from you so let me know what you think in the comments!